The purpose of this role is to contribute to the ongoing improvement and development of our platform, through domain driven design and continuous deployment of high quality software code.
Practice Ignition is a platform that onboards, manages, communicates, bills and provides client insights for the professional services industry. Currently focusing on the accounting sector, Practice Ignition has recently passed a significant paying customer milestone and late last year closed our second round of external investment. We have a significant amount of runway and are in a strong and profitable position.
One of our long term goals is to see Practice Ignition become the central platform that enables cloud accounting practices. We aim to be the platform that links sales, to payments and remove/reduce the administrative processes involved with interacting with your accountant or financial advisor. As much as we’re focused on automating administration and processes within these businesses, it’s the clients that we ultimately aim to engage.
We’re looking for smart, talented and experienced team members that can take ownership, articulate their point of view and back their opinions with a well researched and knowledgeable stance. The role is for someone with a Backend focus but everyone on the team is comfortable writing clean, modular and scalable code for both sides of the stack.
What you will do:
- Compile and analyze data, processes, and codes to troubleshoot problems and identify areas for improvement.
- Collaborating with the front-end developers and other team members, including customer-facing teams to establish objectives and design more functional, cohesive codes to enhance the user experience.
- Integration of data from various back end services and databases
- Configuration and maintenance of varied AWS services
- API development and Integration of data from various back end services & databases
- Delivering middleware functionality including implementing FIX standard and engine
- Recording data and reporting it to proper parties, such as clients or leadership.
- Participating in continuing education and training to remain current on best practices, learn new programming languages, and better assist other team members.
- Developing back-end functionality and assisting the Lead developer
How you will do it:
- Identify, prioritise and execute tasks in the software development life cycle
- Develop tools and applications by producing clean and efficient code
- Automate tasks through appropriate tools and scripting
- Support validation and verification testing
- Contribute to and develop high-quality software design and architecture
- Communicate design ideas and approaches to enhancing the platform
- Creation and maintenance of software documentation
- Collaborate with vendors to fix and improve products
- Developing ideas for new programs, products, or features by monitoring industry developments and trends.
- Provide prompt feedback on Code Reviews
- Taking lead on projects, as needed
Tech Stack: Ruby, Ruby on Rails, React.js SPA, PostgreSQL, Sidekiq/Redis, Heroku, Domain Driven Design
- A solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, distributed systems, algorithms and software design
- Passionate about clean code architecture and software craftsmanship
- Experience with modern web frameworks and API development (Ruby on Rails, React, Vue.js)
- Experience with Git and GitHub or similar
- Experience with PostgreSQL
- Experience with background job processing
- Experience with Message Queues
- Comfortable working in the terminal
- Proficiency within an editor of your choice
- Experience with testing frameworks such as … or equivalent
- Experience working with profiling tools
- Knowledge and familiarity with caching strategies, design patterns, cloud architecture and tools.
- Consuming and integrating with third party APIs
How we work
- Distributed team - Flexible working arrangements
- Continuous Delivery
- Code Reviews
- Spark Projects - Our internal product development process
Who you are
- You have a high attention to detail
- You don’t shy away from feedback and you take it on board
- You have terrific communication skills – both written and verbal
- You’re systems and process driven
- You’re happy to be flexible when things don’t go to plan
- You’re an organiser at heart
- You feel most comfortable working to deadlines
- You thrive off working in a team
We are better everyday
We work without ego
We are smarter together
We hero our customer
- We engage in robust and articulate dialogue while maintaining an open mind
- We are effectively work autonomously, but also with a strong team ethic. We may reward individual effort, but we most certainly play as a team in everything we do
- We have the ability to focus yet still have a laugh in high-pressure situations
- We are comfortable working with globally distributed teams who bring together complementary skill sets
- We are proactive learners, and encourage the continuous development of our skill-sets
- We are passionate about delivering services to our customers and able to champion their needs
- We are able to think creatively and develop solutions for our customers
Key Internal relationships:
Product Managers, Product designers, Customer Support, FrontEnd Design, Product Marketing, BackEnd Engineers
Send an email with your Github account, resume, website or anything else you're proud of. We’ll be in touch to tell you more about the role and we can work out if there's a fit.
Practice Ignition is an equal opportunity employer and conducts its employment practices based on business needs and in a manner that treats employees and applicants on the basis of merit and experience. If you require assistance in your application please contact Benn.Nicholson@practiceignition.com